Click here to purchase your Transformers IMAX tickets for this limited time engagement
Now that the New York Times has opened their vault without charging, I found this little gem of an interview of Michael around the premeire of The Rock. It’s an interesting piece. One of the quotes:
“Optimism is what being a photographer is about,” he said. “You look through the lens at the ugliness in this world, and there’s always some beauty to find.”
I saw the IMAX print and it is awesome! It is the future of cinema to see movies in this format. I’m going to see Tranformers one last time and get ready to gear up for Transformers 2. I added two minutes of stuff for IMAX that will never make into any DVD’s. There will never be an extended edition.
About the DVD. I like the two disc set. I has all the extras that the others don’t have. It is the definitive edition of Transformers. It really breaks down how we made the movie.
Anyway hope you like the IMAX print!
I contacted Michael to verify if the IMAX release of Transformers will include additional footage not seen in the first theatrical release, and he has confirmed that there will be about 2 extra minutes.
From Director Michael Bay and Executive Producer Steven Spielberg Comes the BIGGEST Original Blockbuster of the Year, TRANSFORMERS
$650+ Million Smash Hit from DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures Rolls out on DVD and HD DVD October 16 in Two-Disc Sets Bursting with a Universe of Bonus Features to Immerse Fans of All Ages in the World of the Legendary ROBOTS IN DISGUISE
HOLLYWOOD, Calif.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The armies of CYBERTRON invaded theaters with a juggernaut fury that shook the summer of 2007, but on October 16, 2007 fans of all ages will discover that there is far “More Than Meets The Eye” to the massive mechanical behemoths when TRANSFORMERS arrives on Earth in spectacular DVD and HD DVD two-disc Special Edition sets as well as on a single disc from DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures; distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment.
Earning over $650 million at the global box office to date, the massive production exploded onto screens from the creative minds of director Michael Bay and executive producer Steven Spielberg, in association with Hasbro, taking audiences by storm and becoming the biggest original film of the year. The first live-action film based on the enduringly popular “robots in disguise”, TRANSFORMERS features the ultimate battle between good and evil, as the peace-loving AUTOBOTS seek to protect humanity from the evil forces of the DECEPTICONS. The action-packed film stars a hot young cast of up-and-coming actors including Shia LaBeouf (Disturbia), Josh Duhamel (Las Vegas), Tyrese Gibson (Four Brothers) and Megan Fox (Hope & Faith), as well as seasoned performers such as Jon Voight (National Treasure) and John Turturro (The Good Shepherd). But the biggest stars are the TRANSFORMERS robots themselves – including fan favorites OPTIMUS PRIME, MEGATRON, BUMBLEBEE, RATCHET, JAZZ and more – brought to life by revolutionary new VFX techniques developed by the innovative digital wizards at Industrial Light & Magic (ILM).
The TRANSFORMERS Special Edition two-disc sets provide an incredible experience with an arsenal of bonus material that delivers excitement and fun for long-time fans, as well as for viewers who are new to the TRANSFORMERS universe. The extensive special features include commentary by Michael Bay and two multi-part in-depth documentaries exploring the human elements of the film as well as the phenomenal robot stars. Presented in multiple parts, “Our World” and “Their War” include segments with Steven Spielberg discussing his love for the franchise and the early concept for the movie, the extensive casting process, the training, consultants and real-world weapons provided by the military to lend authenticity to the film, the evolution of the robots from Hasbro’s iconic toy line to big-screen stars, the unique vehicles created for the movie, a discussion with ILM’s legendary digital artists and much more.
The discs go even further behind-the-scenes with early sketch concepts of the robots and an in-depth look at the making of the SKORPONOK attack from writing and conceptualization through the creation of the stunning visual effects.
Out-Of-This World High-Def Content:
In addition to superior picture and sound and all of the above bonus material presented in high definition, the HD DVD presentation provides consumers with a host of web-enabled features, which are accessible through all connected HD DVD players. The web-enabled features take advantage of technology that allows the studio to present the content in a new way. These cutting-edge, online features can be updated, providing consumers with an evolving entertainment experience months, or even years, after the disc is physically produced. Initial features include a TRANSFORMERS Intelligence Mode in which an on-screen dashboard over the film provides information about the robots and weapons, their strength levels, character updates and more. Plus, a GPS Locator that can access a map and GPS coordinates. Paramount’s TRANSFORMERS HD DVD connectivity capabilities will reveal additional HD DVD exclusive features at street date and at various time periods in the future.
The HD DVD also includes a TRANSFORMERS H.U.D. (Heads Up Display) that lets viewers access running text commentary while watching the film and even view relevant behind-the-scenes footage in a picture-in-picture window. Additionally, viewers can explore the main robots’ individual details in high definition with the TRANSFORMERS Tech Inspector.
The TRANSFORMERS DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French and Spanish subtitles. Total runtime is 143 minutes.
TRANSFORMERS Special Edition DVD bonus features include:
— Feature film
— Commentary by Michael Bay
- The Story Sparks – Steven Spielberg discusses his love for the franchise and early concept art for the film. Explores how the writers adapted the cartoon into a live action movie and why Michael Bay is the perfect director for the film.
- Human Allies – A look at how the actors were selected and their experiences on the set.
- Fight Giant Robots – An exploration of the military training that Josh Duhamel and Tyrese Gibson underwent for their roles and the various stunts that the actors were asked to perform.
- Battleground – A piece on the senior officials from the Department of Defense and Air Force who consulted on the film to give it authenticity and the key locations that the U.S. government provided access to.
- Rise of the Robots – Explores the interaction between Hasbro designers and Michael Bay to bring the toy line roaring to life.
- AUTOBOTS Roll Out – Michael Bay discusses working with Chevy and its designers and the modifications that were made to the cars seen in the film.
- DECEPTICONS Strike – The film’s military advisors discuss the “toys” they allowed the production to borrow: F-22 Raptors, Ospreys and A-10 Warthogs.
- Inside the AllSpark – ILM’s digital artists discuss the challenges of bringing the TRANSFORMERS to life.
More Than Meets The Eye
- From Script to Sand: The SKORPONOK Desert Attack – An in-depth look at the making of this particularly epic and challenging scene from initial storyboarding through production and visual effects.
- Concepts – Early sketch concepts of the robots.
The HD DVD is presented in 1080p High Definition with English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus and English, English SDH+, French, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese subtitles. In addition to the above features that will be presented in high definition, the TRANSFORMERS HD DVD will also offer the following exclusive content:
- TRANSFORMERS H.U.D. (Heads Up Display)–In this mode, viewers can access running text-based behind-the-scenes background information on the production during the feature. Users can also watch relevant picture-in-picture b-roll and video with Bay, Spielberg and other filmmakers during select sequences.
- Transformers Intelligence Mode web-enabled features consist of:
- Transformation ModeHealth, Meter Weapon Mode, Robot Bio, In Scene Indicator, Text Ticker, GPS
- TRANSFORMERS Tech Inspector – Gives viewers an unprecedented look at the TRANSFORMERS robots through the exquisitely detailed models created by ILM artists. Users can zoom in on each detail for a closer examination and pause and change the rotation of the models.
Paramount Home Entertainment will support the home video debut of TRANSFORMERS with one of the biggest media campaigns in the division’s history. The multi-million dollar blitz will include television, print, radio and online advertising reaching a four quadrant audience. The expansive campaign also will include a viral marketing program in which fans can go online to customize a message for their friends from OPTIMUS PRIME and send it via telephone or email. In addition, an array of high-impact displays will be deployed to retail locations across the country. Promotional partners including Chevrolet and Hostess will also extend the TRANSFORMERS message to millions of people.
Each TRANSFORMERS DVD will include an insert alerting consumers to Chevrolet’s “The Bumblebee Camaro Sweepstakes”. Beginning October 17, 2007, fans can enter to win one of three customized Chevy Camaro cars styled after the TRANSFORMERS AUTOBOT BUMBLEBEE at chevy.com/camaro. The sweepstakes also will be promoted with a wide-reaching television, print and online advertising campaign that will further extend the DVD messaging and excitement.
This October, Hostess, the maker of America’s most iconic snack cakes, will be launching a national consumer promotion on approximately 17 million TRANSFORMERS themed packages at convenience and grocery/mass merchandiser retail stores. Consumers will be directed via www.hostesscakes.com to a Hostess micro-site where they can play an instant-win game for a chance to win a 50” Plasma TV and Home Entertainment system, portable DVD players and other prizes.
The HD DVD version and two-disc standard-def special edition will both be priced at $39.99, with the standard-def single-disc at $19.95 MAP.
Track listing below.
3. All Spark
4. Deciphering the Signal
8. Soccent Attack
9. Sam at the Lake
12. Arrival to Earth
14. Downtown Battle
15. Sector 7
16. Bumblebee Captured
17. You’re a Soldier Now
18. Sam on the Roof
19. Optimus vs. Megatron
20. No Sacrifice, No Victory